Goebel named new superintendent
CLINTON — Drew Goebel, assistant superintendent of the Clinton school district, will be promoted to superintendent beginning July 1, 2024. His appointment was announced at the February 21 school board meeting. Current Superintendent Curt Nettles will retire June 30, 2024.
Clinton Elementary School 5th grade teacher Jessica Patrick was named principal of the district’s early childhood education (Lincoln and Douglas schools), effective with the 2023-24 school year. Patrick replaces Beth Wickenhauser who will retire at the close of the current school year.
“We’re looking forward to her (Patrick) bringing her expertise and experience and determination and everything that personifies a future administrator,” said Nettles.
The retirements of Clinton High School Principal Jerry Wayne and Assistant Principal Bob Svencner, effective at the close of the 2026-27 school year, were accepted by the board.
The board also approved the hiring of a director of teaching and learning for the district. “This person will spend time totally focusing on our curriculum, instruction and alignment of our programs for the best possible outcomes of our students’ learning,” said Nettles. The position will report to the superintendent.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the membership renewals to the IESA and IHSA.
• Approved the 2023-24 school year calendar.
• Approved moving the April board meeting to April 25.
• Approved a request for an overnight stay for the Clinton High School girls’ track team for meets in Metamora and Morton.
• Approved a new three-year Apple lease for iPads at a value of $291,217 with annual payments each July. District Technology Coordinator Laura Molitoris said the district will sell its 5th generation iPads which last year sold for about $60,000.
• Approved the bid from Irwin Seating Company, Grand Rapids, Michigan, for new bleachers at the high school at a cost of $389,401. “It’s going to be a very busy summer,” said Goebel in reference to the new bleachers, flooring, and other remodeling projects in the district.
• Approved the following positions: Dalton Spencer, CHS boys assistant track coach; Waiverleigh Koncor, CES aide; Jacob Sullivan, CHS Transition Program job coach; Kristen Ryman, CJHS kitchen staff; and Angela Roberts, CJHS aide.