CLINTON – In anticipation of the crisp air and falling leaves, the Vespasian Warner Public Library District will usher in the autumn season with several events during October. All library events are free and open to the public, but space is limited and advance registration is required unless otherwise noted. Visit the library or call 217-935-5174 to learn more or register for any event.
• Pumpkin Decorating Contest & Grab ‘n Go Craft Kit – Begins Friday, 10/1: Decorate the pumpkin of your dreams and drop it off at the library by noon on October 16 to be entered in the contest. Full details are available at www.vwarner.org. Need a pumpkin? The October grab ‘n go kit will feature a small foam pumpkin and paint to help you get started. Grab ‘n go kits will be available beginning October 1 while supplies last. Registration is not required. All ages.
• Blood Drive – Saturday, 10/16 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: The Impact Life Bloodmobile will be back at the library in October. To register, please call 1-800-747-5401 or visit bit.ly/BloodDriveOct16. All donors will receive a voucher to redeem for their choice of a short-sleeve retro-style t-shirt or a $5 electronic gift card. Age restrictions apply.
• Zombie Doll Transformations for Teens – Wednesday, 10/20 at 3:45 p.m.: Let’s take these dolls and turn them into something a little more... hungry for brains! Snacks will be provided (not brains), and spots are limited for this program. Ages 12+, please.
• Preserve at Home – Saturday, 10/23 at 11 a.m.: Preserving at home is a great activity for all ages to get into the kitchen and have something fresh-tasting months later. Get more complex with canning and fermenting or keep things simple with drying and freezing. This free workshop will cover needed equipment, supplies to get started preserving, and recipe resources to preserve safely. Attend just for the information, or sign-up for the optional hands-on activity where we will freeze fall fruits to take home. Ages 7-up, accompanied by an adult.
• Hallo-Week at the Library – Monday, 10/25 to Saturday, 10/30: Drop in any time this week to celebrate the spookiest time of the year with Halloween games, treats, and lots of fun! Don’t forget to wear your costume. Registration is not required. All ages.
• Family Movie Night – Wednesday, 10/27 at 5 p.m.: Join us for a (not so spooky) Halloween movie night on the children’s floor! Drop in and stay for as long or as little as you like! Registration is not required. All ages.
• Gravestone Cleaning at Woodlawn Cemetery – Saturday, 10/30 at 11 a.m.: Learn how to properly clean and care for a gravestone, while also getting to know some of the history behind them. This program meets at Woodlawn Cemetery in Clinton. Spots are limited so register early! All ages.
Finally, beginning October 2, 2021, the Vespasian Warner Public Library District will be open from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturdays. This change in service hours will allow our staff to better serve the public during its busiest times throughout the week. Please visit the library or www.vwarner.org for answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding this change. New library hours will be Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Friday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.