Maroons near playoff bid with 66-38 win over Sullivan


CLINTON — On Friday night, October 18, the Clinton Maroons came one step closer to a playoff berth this season.  

With a resounding win over the Sullivan Redskins (66-38) the home team moves to 5-3 on the season and close to qualifying for the playoffs.  They still need to win their final outing at Warrensburg-Latham to reach the playoffs, but even with a loss, the Maroons will have a winning season.

The senior night game, and last home stand of the season, began with the opposition intercepting a Maroon pass within the first two minutes of the game.  The Redskins then had to punt the ball, which ended on the four yard line.  

From there with 6:58 left in the quarter, Clinton quarterback Garrett Wayne took the ball around the left end and ran 90 yards for the home team’s first score of the night, and, with a two point conversion, made the score 8-0.       

The second quarter began with a home-team 60-yard pass play from Wayne to Clayton Welch for another Clinton touchdown (TD) plus extra point for a 16-0 lead.  Then the melee started, with the teams trading TDs throughout the quarter.  

The Maroons still maintained their lead at 30-16.

The third quarter was all Maroons, scoring three TDs and 2-two point conversions to end the quarter’s scoring at 52-16.  

The final quarter saw the Redskins advance down the field after a fumble recovery for TD and 2-point conversion, closing the scoring gap to 52-24.  A few minutes later the Maroons responded in kind, raising the score to 60-24.  

Again, Sullivan responded as in the second quarter, and the game was afoot once more.  Each team scored one more time to bring the final score to 66-38 for the Maroons win.

For this game, the hapless Redskins were here trying to derail the Maroons in a must-win situation and gave a good showing but fell well short of their goal.  


Quarters      1    2    3    4    Final 


Maroons      8   22   24  14    66

Redskins     0   16     0   22   38